Exploring Holistic Alternatives

Families practicing: Alternative & Natural Health; Attachment and Mindful Parent

Does your family drink it? I made a batch, and it tastes kinda like slightly sour, slightly fizzy cider. Not too bad. Three of us will drink it, and the other 2 say "no way!" Do you just continually make more than you can drink? Can you store your SCOBY? freeze it?

Views: 86

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have the same questions. I got on the computer to send an email to Anna and I saw this thread. Today is the 7th day for my first batch. I am not sure what to do with it! Is the film at the top the SCOBY that is growing? How do I get the tea out, just pour it out? I see Anna adds some organic grape juice to hers. Do you do 1/2 grape juice, 1/2 kombucha or is that too much grape juice? When do you have to divide your SCOBY? Do I have to wash out the jar before I make my next batch? I feel completely clueless! Help!

Thanks.
Joette
Ok, I'll add what I can. I let mine go more like two weeks. It doesn't really continue to get more and more sour, that seems to level off. I then have about 3 quarts of kombucha and usually get through that in the 2 weeks. I use the other 3+ cups to start the next batch.

The film at the top should be the new SCOBY. My main one always stays on the top so it's harder to see the "new" part, it just kind of layers together. Eventually, it gets about an inch thick and then I will divide it. As it get bigger it will just make it faster.

To get it out. I lift out the SCOBY put it in a glass dish, add the 3 cups of kombucha. Then I bottle what remains. I put about an inch of grape juice in a quart jar and top it off with kombucha. 1/2 and 1/2 would be too much. Make sure to put this into the refrigerator because it can explode if it starts a second ferment.

I do wash out my jar with hot water and then start again. Avoid using metal, if at all possible.

I've not heard of freezing the SCOBY but google it and I'm sure you'll find something.

Call me Joette, if you want to talk it through on the phone.

HTH some!

~Anna
Thanks Anna! That is exactly what I needed!

I will give it another week. I may be calling you then!

Thanks again.
Joette
My directions say it takes 5 - 14 days to make, and to use the mother & daughter scobys for the first 2 - 3 batches, then seperate them.

My house is pretty warm, plus the cabinet it's in is warm. I could probably move mine and slow it down. Or get rid of the mother scoby. My 2 scobys are keeping to themselves.

I filtered my kombucha with a tea filter. And rinsed my pot in hot water while the scobys sat on a plate.I just use a clean spatula to handle my scobys (my directions said to use your hands!)
I was just poking around the internet, and one article says not to put kombucha in ceramic, because the acidity can leach toxic chemicals from the ceramic. I used a crock-pot. Even if that is ceramic, isn't that a glaze on there that coats the ceramic? I supposed I'd be better off getting a glass container, just in case.
I bought a gallon sized mason jar that I am using. I think I bought it at Walmart. Are you supposed to put it in a cabinet? I have it on my countertop, not in the sun. I have a cloth napkin covering it and it covers most of the jar. Are you supposed to filter it? I thought that stuff was part of what you are supposed to drink?

By the way, my kids think it is some kind of science experiment. I hear them in the morning, looking at the SCOBY going "EWWW, I think it is bigger!" My daughter used to love drinking the Kombucha I bought at the store, this might take some convincing to try!

Joette
Thanks for the WM tip! My directions said to put it in the cabinet. I think! Maybe I read somewhere it was supposed to be kept in the dark? I don't think you have to filter it, but my directions said to, and that after you bottle it and store it, you are still likely to end up with a little mini SCOBY on top, and to watch out for the first swallow! So I think you're filtering any goopy stuff, and not all the good stuff. And really, when I filtered mine, there was VERY LITTLE stuff left in the filter - it's a pretty clean brew after you lift out the SCOBYS.

Joette said:
I bought a gallon sized mason jar that I am using. I think I bought it at Walmart. Are you supposed to put it in a cabinet? I have it on my countertop, not in the sun. I have a cloth napkin covering it and it covers most of the jar. Are you supposed to filter it? I thought that stuff was part of what you are supposed to drink?

By the way, my kids think it is some kind of science experiment. I hear them in the morning, looking at the SCOBY going "EWWW, I think it is bigger!" My daughter used to love drinking the Kombucha I bought at the store, this might take some convincing to try!

Joette
I am the main Kombucha consumer in my household, and I only drink a few swigs a day! Once it's brewed, I also remove the scoby and put it in a glass bowl with only about 1/2 - 1 C Kombucha. I pour it through a strainer and then into a glass bottle which goes in the fridge.

I have some questions though too... I've been brewing/fermenting it for about 7 days. When I taste it on the 7th/8th day, it tastes pretty sour, maybe a little fizz too, so I figure it's done. But after it has been in the fridge for a while, it tastes sweet. Anyone else get this too? Or do I need to ferment it longer?

What is the stuff that grows in the Kombucha afterwards? It is sort of gelatinous? When I bottle it, it is clear... the goop forms and grows with time. It does not make a scoby, it floats like a cloud near the bottom of the vessel.

FWIW, While brewing, I keep the K in a cabinet. It has a tea towel on it, which I keep in place with a large rubber band so that it doesn't slip and nothing can fall in.

As far as ceramics... I believe the glaze itself has the lead in it (maybe in addition to the ceramic>www.chicobag.com?) ... That is also an issue with crock pots... quite disconcerting...
Hey, my second batch fermented for a week. Then I did Anna's grape juice, and now it tastes great! It really tastes like the fake sparkling wine we buy for the kids for New Years' Eve!

BUT... does this stuff make anyone's else's digestive system a little off? I think it's only me, not the rest of my family. UGH!
Francie, do you have/had mercury fillings in your teeth? If so, the s. boulardii could be displacing and replacing candida in your gut, causing GI symptoms (and headaches).

Consider drinking smaller amounts, only an ounce daily and gradually increase by an ounce per month.

Pat
I do have fillings. No headaches, thank goodness! And just so I'm not getting too descriptively gross here, I'll just say that it's not so I'm ready to dump the stuff down the drain. I've had GI issues most of my life, so nothing new there! Thanks for the suggestions, Pat! :-)

Pat said:
Francie, do you have/had mercury fillings in your teeth? If so, the s. boulardii could be displacing and replacing candida in your gut, causing GI symptoms (and headaches).

Consider drinking smaller amounts, only an ounce daily and gradually increase by an ounce per month.

Pat
Sarah, I think you might want to try fermenting longer. Mine has never been ready at 7 days, usually 10 - 14.

Joette, mine is on the counter with the napkin. I think the key is out of the sun. I don't have the cabinet space for it.

I do sometimes filter if there is that yeasty floaty stuff :) but it's usually pretty clear. It will grow tiny SCOBYs in the fridge some times.

~Anna

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

Latest Activity

Pat's discussion was featured

VACCINES

Discussion, references, inquiries, etc.
Sep 23, 2010
Estela de Arcos Hunt updated their profile photo
Aug 25, 2010
Anna left a comment for Megan Stuhlman
"Hi Megan, I've dealt with a few different illnesses. Maybe you can call me tomorrow and let me know what's going on. Or maybe send your number. Pat and I are going to a conference but will have some time on the drive there and later in…"
Aug 13, 2010
Megan Stuhlman left a comment for Anna
"Hi Anna, Hope you are doing well, its been a while since I've come to the group MNOs but hope to attend soon and see folks again. This is kind of a random favor/question, but I seem to have a sick chicken and wondered if you had any expertise…"
Aug 13, 2010
Pat posted discussions
Jul 22, 2010
Sara Arey updated their profile photo
Jul 9, 2010
Sara Arey is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jul 9, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Interesting. I do find info about Arnica as a poison ivy relief alternative. I hadn't heard of that. Homeopathic Apis helps for swelling, hives also. Pat"
Jul 3, 2010
Pamela Fuller replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Thanks, lots of great ideas we can try. (I am a new member on the yahoo group as of last week.) We also read some information elsewhere about treating with arnica, do you have any experience with that? DH used arnica pellets on Sunday for muscle…"
Jul 2, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"We had two recent discussions about poison ivy relief on the yahoogroup with many options to consider. Plantain, witch hazel and Epsom salt baths seem to offer significant relief. Are you already a member there?…"
Jul 2, 2010
Benita Gibbs posted a discussion

Drinking Water Usage for Your Family

Can you spare a few moments to take my survey?Please take the survey titled "Drinking Water Usage". Your feedback is important!http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N27LDFDThank you for your time.See More
Jun 28, 2010
Pamela Fuller posted a discussion

Poison Ivy

Does anyone have suggestions for relieving poison ivy itch?  I'm new to holistic treatments, and hubby has a small case of what he thinks is poison ivy or oak on face and hands.
Jun 28, 2010
Cara Yara's 2 blog posts were featured
Jun 25, 2010
Jenn's blog post was featured

SHE'S HERE!!

So Maya Lynn decided to come Saturday afternon.After a long labor, but a REAL quick one push delivery she arrived Saturday September 12, 2009 at 5:09.She's 7lb. 11 oz. and 20 1/2" long.We came home Sunday afternoon and have all been doing really well.I will update with photos when I get time to download them.See More
Jun 25, 2010
allie drayton is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 24, 2010
Pat posted a discussion

Food Poisoning

If you observe some safety rules related to foods, kitchen and kitchen appliances, food poisoning will never occur.Most food poisioning effects on body clears up in a few days on its own as their duration is not for very long period. In the case of continued illnessseek medical advice. Children, elders, pregnant women and the personswho use antacids heavily are at more risk of getting food poisioning.The…See More
Jun 24, 2010
Benita Gibbs is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 23, 2010
Profile IconLindsey Chambliss, Stacy and Gwendolynn St. Pierre joined Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 14, 2010
Pat left a comment for Gwendolynn St. Pierre
"Welcome. Glad you joined us! Pat"
Jun 14, 2010

© 2024   Created by Pat.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service