Exploring Holistic Alternatives

Families practicing: Alternative & Natural Health; Attachment and Mindful Parent

Please add favorite recipes. Nutritious and delicious and kid-friendly suggestions wanted!

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Granola Bars (originally posted by Anna Brown)
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005
Show: Good Eats

Episode: Power Trip

8 ounces old-fashioned rolled oats, approximately 2 cups
1 1/2 ounces raw sunflower seeds, approximately 1/2 cup
3 ounces sliced almonds, approximately 1 cup
1 1/2 ounces wheat germ, approximately 1/2 cup
6 ounces honey, approximately 1/2 cup
1 3/4 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately 1/4 cup packed
1-ounce unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6 1/2 ounces chopped dried fruit, any combination of apricots, cherries or blueberries

Butter a 9 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread the oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, and wheat germ onto a half-sheet pan. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In the meantime, combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, extract and salt in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.

Once the oat mixture is done, remove it from the oven and reduce the heat to 300 degrees F. Immediately add the oat mixture to the liquid mixture, add the dried fruit, and stir to combine. Turn mixture out into the prepared baking dish and press down, evenly distributing the mixture in the dish and place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Below is the granola recipe. The book (The Roasted Vegetable) is a great book. I think the library has it. The cheapest place to get the grapeseed oil and blueberries is Trader Joe's.

Blueberry Sunrise Granola
The Roasted Vegetable by Andrea Chesman
Makes about 8 cups

3 cups rolled (old fashioned) oats
2 cups chopped pecans (I leave mine whole)
1 cup hulled sunflower seeds
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar (I use date sugar)
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup grapeseed oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups dried blueberries

1. Preheat the oven to 300. Line a large shallow roasting pan with parchment paper. (I use a stone, no parchment)
2. In a large bowl, combine the oats, pecans, sunflower seeds, brown sugar, and salt. Mix well. Stir in the oil and vanilla. Spread out in the pan.
3. Roast for 25-30 minutes, until granola is golden, stirring occasionally for even cooking (stirring not necessary if you use a stone). Do not let granola get too dark and stir frequently during the final 15 minutes to prevent scorching the granola at the sides of the pan.
4. Transfer to a large bowl to cool completely. Stir in blueberries.
5. Store in airtight container. This will keep for about 1 month at room temperature or for about 6 months in the refrigerator.
This is so deliciously wonderful, make a double or triple batch!! You will enjoy it so much with rich whole milk, cream, or yogurt. Yummmmm....

Pat
I joined this "Menu Mailer" some time back and have made their recipes in large 30 day batches several times. Most every meal is very good. They give you the exact shopping list for making a whole batch of meals. Here are some of the pre-planned menus available. The recipes, shopping lists and all are about $8 for 20 meals, iirc. I just made up all the recipes in one day, freeze them, and then thaw when I want a quick meal. Not homemade fresh, but about as close to it, with a huge time savings. Check it out. http://www.savingdinner.com/index.html They have chicken recipes, side dish recipes, vegetarian recipes, gluten-free recipes, etc.

Low Carb Menu-Mailer
Low Carb Menu-Mailer Vol 6 Week 40 - With Gluten Free Options | 9/30/2008
Enjoy Chicken Breasts with Artichoke Sauce, Asian Beef Salad, Tilapia with Cilantro Butter, Curried Pork, Tomato Basil Turkey Skillet, and Cajun Crock Chicken

Low Carb Menu-Mailer Vol 6 Week 39 - With Gluten Free Options | 9/23/2008
Enjoy Peppercorn Chicken, Asian Pepper Steak, Barbecue Roasted Salmon, Cuban Pork, Broccoli, Bean and Cheese Soup, and Mediterranean Roast Turkey

Frugal Menu-Mailer Vol 3 Week 42 | 10/16/2007
Enjoy Apricot Baked Chicken, Speedy Beefy Burritos, Tuscany Villa Fish, Ragin' Cajun Pork Chops, Quick and Easy Chili Pasta, and Bean and Sausage Casserole

Crock Cooker Menu-Mailer Vol 3 Week 38 | 9/18/2007
Enjoy Chicken and Bean Stew, Anytime Holiday Ham, Quick as a Wink Round Steak, Crock Sweet and Sour Shrimp, and Vegetarian Rigatoni

Regular Menu-Mailer
Menu-Mailer Vol 7 Week 40 | 9/30/2008
Chicken and Bean Burritos, Asian Salisbury Steak, Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Veggies, Smothered Sweet Potatoes, Pork, White Bean and Kale Soup, and Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore

Menu-Mailer Vol 7 Week 39 | 9/23/2008
Enjoy Creamy Apple Cider Chicken, Portobello and Beef Patty Melts, Halibut with Orange Sauce, Caribbean Pork Roast, Broiled Pesto-Tomato Sandwiches, and Crock Cooker Fajita Stew

Vegetarian Menu-Mailer Vol 3 Week 45 | 11/7/2007
Enjoy Honey Pecan Tofu Cutlets, Easy Mexicale Baked Penne, Jolly Green Potatoes, Veggie Spinach Bread Pudding, Fall Harvest Casserole, and RECIPE RAVE: Veggie Crock Chili

Body Clutter Menu-Mailer
Body Clutter Menu-Mailer Volume 4 Week 40 | 9/30/2008
Enjoy Chicken Breasts with Artichoke Sauce, Asian Beef Salad, Tilapia with Cilantro Butter, Curried Pork, Tomato Basil Turkey Skillet, and Cajun Crock Chicken

Body Clutter Menu-Mailer Volume 4 Week 39 | 9/23/2008
Enjoy Peppercorn Chicken, Asian Pepper Steak, Barbecue Roasted Salmon, Cuban Pork, Broccoli, Bean and Cheese Soup, and Mediterranean Roast Turkey

Heart Healthy Menu-Mailer
Heart Healthy Menu-Mailer Volume 3 Week 40 | 9/30/2008
Enjoy Fish with Greek Salsa and Feta HH Style, RECIPE RAVE: HH Skillet Chop Suey, HH Tuscan Skillet Chicken, Patata Cocida al Horno, Barley Broccoli Salad, and Salmon Parm Casserole

Heart Healthy Menu-Mailer Volume 3 Week 39 | 9/23/2008
Enjoy Salmon with Wilted Balsamic Spinach HH Style, RECIPE RAVE: Veggie Stuffed Potatoes, Romano Turkey Burgers HH Style, Tuna Salad Cups HH Style, Chicken Nicoise with Couscous, and Rosemary Beans

Southern Hemisphere Low Carb Menu-Mailer
SH Low Carb Menu-Mailer Vol 5 Week 23 | 6/3/2008
Enjoy Chicken Romano Supreme, Cheesy Lime Burgers, Winter Squash Soup, Buttery Fish Fillets, Three Peppered Pork Chops Salsa Verde, and Crock Chicken and Winter Vegetables

SH Low Carb Menu-Mailer Vol 5 Week 22 | 5/27/2008
Enjoy Diablo Chicken, Teriyaki Broccoli Beef, Simple Seared Scallops, Caramelized Garlic Pork Chops, Baked Garlic Veggies, and Crock Beef and Pepper Stew

Southern Hemisphere Frugal Menu Mailer
SH Frugal Menu-Mailer Vol 2 Week 43 | 10/23/2007
Enjoy Chicken Lo Mein, Crispy Crusted Pork Chops, Sweet Molasses Turkey Cutlets, Vegetable Fajitas, Quick Fiesta Casserole, and Braised Garlicky Chicken

They'll also send out weekly recipe suggestions based upon your preferences.

Pat
Vegetarian Recipes needed!

We try to have a few vegetarian dinners every week, but I'm running out of ideas. Here are some dishes I usually cook: 3 bean chili, vegetable soups/stews, pasta dishes with cheese, cheese enchiladas, falafel, homemade pizza.

I'm especially looking for kid-friendly dishes. Anyone? Joette maybe?

Cara
This sight had aot of quinoa recipes.

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=quinoa

Jenn
Curried Quinoa Recipe
Serves Six to Eight

1 Cup Quinoa
1½ Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
½ Onion Diced (about 4 or 5 ozs.)
1 Tsp. Grated Fresh Ginger Root
½ Fresh Green Chile (Finely Chopped)
1 Heaping Tsp. Turmeric
1 Heaping Tsp. Coriander
¼ Tsp. Ground Cinnamon
½ Tsp. Salt
1¾ Cups Water
½ Cup Fresh or Frozen Peas

Rinse quinoa with cold water. Use a fine mesh filter or coffee filter. Quinoa is coated with a natural substance called saponin that protects thegrain by repelling insects and birds. Rinsing the quinoa is important toavoid a raw or bitter taste. You can tell if there is saponin by theproduction of a soapy looking "suds" when the seeds are swished in water.
If you are using Ancient Harvest Quinoa you can skip this step.It's already rinsed!

Place oil and diced onions in a heavy saucepan. Saute the onions onmedium high heat for four to five minutes.
Add the ginger root, chile, and quinoa. Cook for one minute stirring constantly. A fine, white spiral appears around the grain as it cooks. .
Stir in the turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, and salt. Cook for one minute stirring constantly.
Add the water and bring it to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15minutes.
Stir in peas. Cover and cook for four or five minutes or until peas are tenderand all the water has been absorbed.
Fluff with a fork before serving.

I added chopped fresh tomatoes after it was cooked.

this is the site this came from. There are a few more recipes. I think they change them sometimes, and it has other info about it.

Quinoa-Recipes.com

Jenn
This is Apples pumpkin cookie recipe. She posted it on the homeschool group and I wanted to make sure everyone got it.

/4 C sugar
1/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C plus 2 Tbs butter
1/3 C honey
1 C pumpkin
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 C whole wheat flour
1 C white flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 C chocolate chips

oven 350
greased cookie sheet
beat both sugars, butter and honey
add and beat egg, vanilla and pumpkin
mix all dry ingredients together and add in batches to wet
stir in chocolate chips

heaping tbs onto cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes.

Jenn
Cara,
this site has lots of great stuff, I love the magazine too!

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/

Jenn
Thanks Jen! Your dish was amazing!! I can't wait to make it.

~Anna
How about rice n beans? You can flavor it to fit in with a dish that might normally be a meat dish - for example, when I make a tater tot casserole that calls for hamburger, I just put in rice n beans instead.

Or have you ever had a KFC bowl? (chicken, corn, mashed potatoes, gravy, I think that's it? biscuit on top? all mixed in one bowl) You can make them without the chicken, and either put in fake chicken, or whatever else you like. We love the Qorn brand of fake chicken, it tastes great and it's not soy, but it's not cheap. This is a good way to stretch it though.

The other night I cooked a bunch of chopped potatoes, and we all mixed in whatever: celery, feta, walnuts, etc.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

Latest Activity

Pat's discussion was featured

VACCINES

Discussion, references, inquiries, etc.
Sep 23, 2010
Estela de Arcos Hunt updated their profile photo
Aug 25, 2010
Anna left a comment for Megan Stuhlman
"Hi Megan, I've dealt with a few different illnesses. Maybe you can call me tomorrow and let me know what's going on. Or maybe send your number. Pat and I are going to a conference but will have some time on the drive there and later in…"
Aug 13, 2010
Megan Stuhlman left a comment for Anna
"Hi Anna, Hope you are doing well, its been a while since I've come to the group MNOs but hope to attend soon and see folks again. This is kind of a random favor/question, but I seem to have a sick chicken and wondered if you had any expertise…"
Aug 13, 2010
Pat posted discussions
Jul 22, 2010
Sara Arey updated their profile photo
Jul 9, 2010
Sara Arey is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jul 9, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Interesting. I do find info about Arnica as a poison ivy relief alternative. I hadn't heard of that. Homeopathic Apis helps for swelling, hives also. Pat"
Jul 3, 2010
Pamela Fuller replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Thanks, lots of great ideas we can try. (I am a new member on the yahoo group as of last week.) We also read some information elsewhere about treating with arnica, do you have any experience with that? DH used arnica pellets on Sunday for muscle…"
Jul 2, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"We had two recent discussions about poison ivy relief on the yahoogroup with many options to consider. Plantain, witch hazel and Epsom salt baths seem to offer significant relief. Are you already a member there?…"
Jul 2, 2010
Benita Gibbs posted a discussion

Drinking Water Usage for Your Family

Can you spare a few moments to take my survey?Please take the survey titled "Drinking Water Usage". Your feedback is important!http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N27LDFDThank you for your time.See More
Jun 28, 2010
Pamela Fuller posted a discussion

Poison Ivy

Does anyone have suggestions for relieving poison ivy itch?  I'm new to holistic treatments, and hubby has a small case of what he thinks is poison ivy or oak on face and hands.
Jun 28, 2010
Cara Yara's 2 blog posts were featured
Jun 25, 2010
Jenn's blog post was featured

SHE'S HERE!!

So Maya Lynn decided to come Saturday afternon.After a long labor, but a REAL quick one push delivery she arrived Saturday September 12, 2009 at 5:09.She's 7lb. 11 oz. and 20 1/2" long.We came home Sunday afternoon and have all been doing really well.I will update with photos when I get time to download them.See More
Jun 25, 2010
allie drayton is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 24, 2010
Pat posted a discussion

Food Poisoning

If you observe some safety rules related to foods, kitchen and kitchen appliances, food poisoning will never occur.Most food poisioning effects on body clears up in a few days on its own as their duration is not for very long period. In the case of continued illnessseek medical advice. Children, elders, pregnant women and the personswho use antacids heavily are at more risk of getting food poisioning.The…See More
Jun 24, 2010
Benita Gibbs is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 23, 2010
Profile IconLindsey Chambliss, Stacy and Gwendolynn St. Pierre joined Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 14, 2010
Pat left a comment for Gwendolynn St. Pierre
"Welcome. Glad you joined us! Pat"
Jun 14, 2010

© 2024   Created by Pat.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service