Exploring Holistic Alternatives

Families practicing: Alternative & Natural Health; Attachment and Mindful Parent

I am wondering how everyone saves money on organic food? Money is tight for us at the moment. We are trying to pay off credit cards and become debt free so we are really piching pennies until we can get ths done. My problem is trying to save the most I can on food. I can do this on conventional, but of coarse I don't want to compromise. I shop the farmers markets, and I don't buy any pre-packaged food I make everything from scratch. I try to clip coupons. Does anyone have tips as to what they do to make it easier?

Jenn

Views: 30

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would love the recipe for granola cereal. I have a couple for granola bars I could share.

Jenn
I'll put it in the recipe section that Pat just started. Maybe you can put your bars there too.

Anna
I would love to hear more about this too! I have had to stop buying some organic things as my husband had a job change with lost income. As much as I hate Walmart- I shop there for some organic things like cereal and eggs. I also like Tader Joes for other things. I tend to shop at many stores based on where I can get things a better price.
It is very frustrating as I would rather buy all organic. Even without buying organic, buying whole grains and healthier food- tends to cost more- like peanut butter with no added junk.

I prefer to make things myself but sometimes time does not allow and so I buy some convenience food - mostly Kashi brand and avoid certain ingredients.

I did use Absolute Organics but never figured out if this was a savings- sure was convenient to have produce show up at my door every other week and did help me cook more fresh veggies!
and boy did they taste good.
I used to go to the Matthews Farmer's Market but everything seamed so expensive. Do you go to the Charlotte Farmer's market and how long is it open - month wise. I know I need to check farmer's markets out again.
growing my own tomatoes sure was great and I hope to have a bigger garden next year- that seams to be the most economical way to eat organic!

Food overall is so expensive right now.

Love to hear others ideas on this!
We used to drink soy as well. Then I began reading how soy's benefits are being questioned as not that great for you. I just decided to drop soy from our list of milks. We drink a combination of raw milk, organic milk, rice milk and almond milk. I would love to drink just raw milk but I find we don't drink enough to justify the trip to the farm for 1 gallon.
We have a Super Target near us that has a pretty good line of organic foods. I find I shop at many different places Target, Earth Fare, Trader Joes, Absolute Organics, Farmer's Markets etc. I find a lot of my time is consumed by food! Where am I going to get, when am I going to get it, when am I going to cook it, how am I going to cook it and how much is it going to cost! It makes my head spin sometimes!

I bought a book last year called The Naturally Clean Home. It is great and easy to use. It lists over 100 safe herbal formulas for nontoxic cleaners. It uses baking soda, borax, essential oils, water, cinnamon and vinegar to name a few things. The most expensive is the essential oils which I don't mind buying because we use essential oils for other things.
Hi! In the summer my husband and I plant a few tomato plants and cucumber plants in the back yard. We then buy organic lettuce...this makes for quick and easy summer salads! This could be useful for you next summer!
Joette, thank you so much for mentioning that there is some indication that it isn't great for you. I never stopped to think about that or research it. Being pregnant, I'm going to stop drinking it today and just pay a bit more for the organic cow milk.
I can't find the produce list artical about produce on line, It is in the September issueof Vegaterian Times magazine. It has a lot of info Ididn't know such as:

Spinach should be bought organic because it is often grown in lee-than-ideal conditions, so conventional farmers use significant amounts of pesticides, fungicides, and herbicides. More then 60%of nonorganic spinach tested by the FDA contains pesticide residue, including DDT and permethrin.

Cucmbers- Highly toxic organophosphate pesticides are used on conventionally grown cukes.

Asparagus is o.k. to buy nonorganic because it does not appeal to many pests and is rarely treated with pesticides.

Garlic has natural pest control and is rarely sprayed.

It goes on for veges, fruit, nuts and legumes and dairy.

I can always make copies of it if you want. I don't have a scaner or I would just scan it and send it to people. Let me know.

Jenn
Wow, I knew conventional spinach was on the high pesticide list, but DDT??? And permethrin? Gads.

I totally didn't know that about cucumbers! They are easy to grow. Grrr...

That article sure sounds informative.

Thanks, Pat
I will copy it for you. Maybe I will bring some copies to the MNO Wed.
There are about 50 differ foods on the list and I'm not the best typer so I don't want to copy all of it here. It is interesting to read It's along the lnes of how they come up with the Dirty Dozen list.

Jenn
Thanks, when you read about specific pesticides, it seems a bit more "real" than when I just look at the list of the "dirty dozen". It makes it easier for me to remember also.

Pat
I would love a copy too Jenn. I will be at the MNO.

Thanks.
Joette

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

Latest Activity

Pat's discussion was featured

VACCINES

Discussion, references, inquiries, etc.
Sep 23, 2010
Estela de Arcos Hunt updated their profile photo
Aug 25, 2010
Anna left a comment for Megan Stuhlman
"Hi Megan, I've dealt with a few different illnesses. Maybe you can call me tomorrow and let me know what's going on. Or maybe send your number. Pat and I are going to a conference but will have some time on the drive there and later in…"
Aug 13, 2010
Megan Stuhlman left a comment for Anna
"Hi Anna, Hope you are doing well, its been a while since I've come to the group MNOs but hope to attend soon and see folks again. This is kind of a random favor/question, but I seem to have a sick chicken and wondered if you had any expertise…"
Aug 13, 2010
Pat posted discussions
Jul 22, 2010
Sara Arey updated their profile photo
Jul 9, 2010
Sara Arey is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jul 9, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Interesting. I do find info about Arnica as a poison ivy relief alternative. I hadn't heard of that. Homeopathic Apis helps for swelling, hives also. Pat"
Jul 3, 2010
Pamela Fuller replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Thanks, lots of great ideas we can try. (I am a new member on the yahoo group as of last week.) We also read some information elsewhere about treating with arnica, do you have any experience with that? DH used arnica pellets on Sunday for muscle…"
Jul 2, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"We had two recent discussions about poison ivy relief on the yahoogroup with many options to consider. Plantain, witch hazel and Epsom salt baths seem to offer significant relief. Are you already a member there?…"
Jul 2, 2010
Benita Gibbs posted a discussion

Drinking Water Usage for Your Family

Can you spare a few moments to take my survey?Please take the survey titled "Drinking Water Usage". Your feedback is important!http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N27LDFDThank you for your time.See More
Jun 28, 2010
Pamela Fuller posted a discussion

Poison Ivy

Does anyone have suggestions for relieving poison ivy itch?  I'm new to holistic treatments, and hubby has a small case of what he thinks is poison ivy or oak on face and hands.
Jun 28, 2010
Cara Yara's 2 blog posts were featured
Jun 25, 2010
Jenn's blog post was featured

SHE'S HERE!!

So Maya Lynn decided to come Saturday afternon.After a long labor, but a REAL quick one push delivery she arrived Saturday September 12, 2009 at 5:09.She's 7lb. 11 oz. and 20 1/2" long.We came home Sunday afternoon and have all been doing really well.I will update with photos when I get time to download them.See More
Jun 25, 2010
allie drayton is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 24, 2010
Pat posted a discussion

Food Poisoning

If you observe some safety rules related to foods, kitchen and kitchen appliances, food poisoning will never occur.Most food poisioning effects on body clears up in a few days on its own as their duration is not for very long period. In the case of continued illnessseek medical advice. Children, elders, pregnant women and the personswho use antacids heavily are at more risk of getting food poisioning.The…See More
Jun 24, 2010
Benita Gibbs is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 23, 2010
Profile IconLindsey Chambliss, Stacy and Gwendolynn St. Pierre joined Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 14, 2010
Pat left a comment for Gwendolynn St. Pierre
"Welcome. Glad you joined us! Pat"
Jun 14, 2010

© 2024   Created by Pat.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service