Exploring Holistic Alternatives

Families practicing: Alternative & Natural Health; Attachment and Mindful Parent

I found this article on "backyard chickens". I found it very interesting. I thought I would pass it on. I got the article from the Organic Consumers Association. They have a newletter that you can sign up for that is very informative.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_15062.cfm

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Neat article :) I love my backyard chickens and live in the city limits - shhh :) LOL! Actually, it isn't illegal to have chickens in Mecklenburg, they just have some hoops to jump through.

We love our chickens and the eggs are amazing! I actually just made mayo for the first time today for a dressing I wanted to make.

I highly recommend everyone have chickens :)

~Anna
I would love to have backyard chickens! wish but there is no ay I could get away with it in my neighborhood. :(
I wil never live in a subdivision again!!

Jenn
I have houses to show you down here in the chicken county. ;-)

Pat
Eventually I hope to find a great home down there. Someday! If only we could sell our house right now. I just do't see us able to get enough for it yet. the builders are having a hard enough time selling the brand new houses.

Jenn
We had backyard chickens in Alabama and miss them a lot. I wish we had tried bringing them with us. Technically our SD in Union county wouldn't allow it but likely no one would have complained about the 4 we had which were like pets.
I want to get chickens, but I'm a little concerned about the poop. I don't want it to mess up my kids' play area.

Also, do chickens run away if they aren't fenced in? Do they "cross the road" so to speak?
What we had in Alabama was really neat. It was a rolling pen without a bottom. That way the chickens could have fresh grass all the time and you could manage where the poop goes. I have had chickens before when I was young. If they aren't penned, they do come back to where they are fed but they may wander more than you want.

I found this forum trying to find pics of a similar coop:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=66456

Okay, I found the perfect thing. Not like ours, this is called the Stealth Coop because it looks like a trash can. LOL!!
http://henspa.com/hencondo.htm
Yes, these folks have actually been spending time and effort to intentionally design coops for the small backyard chicken keeper who may be flying under the radar. hehehe pun intended.
VERY tempting!!!

This one is nearly a work of art:
http://www.catawbacoops.com/?gclid=CKjmzJ6yqJcCFQGbnAodp2HG1g

Still can't find one like mine. It was rectangular and basically hoisted on wheels at one end like a wheelbarrow.
Found it! The Hen Hut, how could I forget.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/hen_hut.html

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

Latest Activity

Pat's discussion was featured

VACCINES

Discussion, references, inquiries, etc.
Sep 23, 2010
Estela de Arcos Hunt updated their profile photo
Aug 25, 2010
Anna left a comment for Megan Stuhlman
"Hi Megan, I've dealt with a few different illnesses. Maybe you can call me tomorrow and let me know what's going on. Or maybe send your number. Pat and I are going to a conference but will have some time on the drive there and later in…"
Aug 13, 2010
Megan Stuhlman left a comment for Anna
"Hi Anna, Hope you are doing well, its been a while since I've come to the group MNOs but hope to attend soon and see folks again. This is kind of a random favor/question, but I seem to have a sick chicken and wondered if you had any expertise…"
Aug 13, 2010
Pat posted discussions
Jul 22, 2010
Sara Arey updated their profile photo
Jul 9, 2010
Sara Arey is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jul 9, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Interesting. I do find info about Arnica as a poison ivy relief alternative. I hadn't heard of that. Homeopathic Apis helps for swelling, hives also. Pat"
Jul 3, 2010
Pamela Fuller replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Thanks, lots of great ideas we can try. (I am a new member on the yahoo group as of last week.) We also read some information elsewhere about treating with arnica, do you have any experience with that? DH used arnica pellets on Sunday for muscle…"
Jul 2, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"We had two recent discussions about poison ivy relief on the yahoogroup with many options to consider. Plantain, witch hazel and Epsom salt baths seem to offer significant relief. Are you already a member there?…"
Jul 2, 2010
Benita Gibbs posted a discussion

Drinking Water Usage for Your Family

Can you spare a few moments to take my survey?Please take the survey titled "Drinking Water Usage". Your feedback is important!http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N27LDFDThank you for your time.See More
Jun 28, 2010
Pamela Fuller posted a discussion

Poison Ivy

Does anyone have suggestions for relieving poison ivy itch?  I'm new to holistic treatments, and hubby has a small case of what he thinks is poison ivy or oak on face and hands.
Jun 28, 2010
Cara Yara's 2 blog posts were featured
Jun 25, 2010
Jenn's blog post was featured

SHE'S HERE!!

So Maya Lynn decided to come Saturday afternon.After a long labor, but a REAL quick one push delivery she arrived Saturday September 12, 2009 at 5:09.She's 7lb. 11 oz. and 20 1/2" long.We came home Sunday afternoon and have all been doing really well.I will update with photos when I get time to download them.See More
Jun 25, 2010
allie drayton is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 24, 2010
Pat posted a discussion

Food Poisoning

If you observe some safety rules related to foods, kitchen and kitchen appliances, food poisoning will never occur.Most food poisioning effects on body clears up in a few days on its own as their duration is not for very long period. In the case of continued illnessseek medical advice. Children, elders, pregnant women and the personswho use antacids heavily are at more risk of getting food poisioning.The…See More
Jun 24, 2010
Benita Gibbs is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 23, 2010
Profile IconLindsey Chambliss, Stacy and Gwendolynn St. Pierre joined Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 14, 2010
Pat left a comment for Gwendolynn St. Pierre
"Welcome. Glad you joined us! Pat"
Jun 14, 2010

© 2024   Created by Pat.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service