Exploring Holistic Alternatives

Families practicing: Alternative & Natural Health; Attachment and Mindful Parent

My girls have been looking forward to having a dog for EVER. We've told them once we're in our house in SC, we'll get a dog. I grew up with Rottweilers and loved them, and I am a dog person in general, BUT:

I *cannot* deal with dog HAIR.

So I need to find a local breeder or rescue or something with a non-shedding dog variety. (I know all dogs shed, but some shed minimally. That's what we need.) I know of one doodle breeder near Charlotte, but I think their waiting list is a mile long and they want like $2000 for their pups. I'm looking to spend something more along the lines of $250-500. At the most. My ideal dog would be medium-sized and not yap incessantly.

I hate to be picky and I am aware that a dog from the pound can be great, but the simple fact is, if the dog sheds, it isn't going to make it in our house. I'm not fussy... the exact opposite, actually. I don't want to have to sweep more often than necessary. I'm totally lazy about housework and I'm trying to be smart about what will work for us.

Does anyone have any tips?

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Try www.petfinder.com and that can lead you to the rescue groups in your area-- I would think if you tell them what you are looking for, they can alert you when a dog is available. Good luck!
You should consider a Schnauzer. They do not shed and are great with kids. We have two now and had one that passed away about three years ago. This site might help: http://www.schnauzerrescue.net/
Thanks Jeff, they sound great! Which size do you have? I want a medium-sized dog, so I think we'd probably be most interested in the standard. I read about them on wikipedia just now and they really sound great, and it makes me wonder why I haven't considered them in the past. What would you say are the drawbacks of the breed?

Thanks also Maureen... I am certainly open to a rescue dog, I've just always doubted that the breed I wanted would just happen to be available when we were ready. Maybe if we can be patient it can work out.
Miniature Schauzers are terriers so they can be a little higher strung, nothing even close to a chihuahua but they may not be as docile as other, larger breeds. If you go the standard route you should not have that minor issue. Ours have been fine in that regard. When they were puppies they acted like puppies. As adults, they get excited when someone comes into the house but quickly calm down once they have had a chance to greet the newcomer.

Also, they have to be groomed but at least they do not shed. The only time we have seen dog hair on the floor was when our old Schnauzer chewed some of her own hair off in the heat of summer. Schnauzers also tend to want to be close to their owners. If you want a very independent dog, Schnauzers may not be a good fit. I actually think that is part of what makes them good with kids.
over by the new lowes in the Baxter area there is an animal rescue group. But people seem to be very concerned about the animals. We got a cat there were very pleased. Unfortunately I can't tell you the name but it is by the Lowes and Baxter.

Peace and blessings,

Art
It is the Humane Society of York County. They are really struggling with limited resources and volunteers mixed with lots of animals that need homes.

Joette
We found both of our dogs on petfinder.com. We have a Lhasa Alpso mix and a full-blood Shih Tzu. I too am picky about dog bred for size/hair reasons. We were extremely patient and it took about 3 months per to find both dogs. Plus lots of time spent searching petfinder for the "right" dog for our family. It became sort-of a game for my oldest daughter and myself - we would check the NC/SC rescue listings every morning and email each other with pictures and info of various dogs.

We ended up obtaining both our dogs from the same rescue group in SC and making a bit of a drive for pick-up.

There are also rescue groups per dog breed. Limiting your search to a particular breed on petfinder.com is very helpful.

Best Wishes!!!
I am a past vet tech. I agree with Jeff, mini Schauzers are a little more high strung. They are usually good with kids they have always been around, but have the potential to be snappy with others. Most small dogs are like that...the "little dog thinks he is a Great Dane" thing. Standard Schauzers are good. Labradoodles are GREAT! They are on the bigger side, but if you find one that's parents are medium size you have a good chance it will be too. I think most of the poodle mixes are good. Schnoodles, malt-i-doodle, labradoodles all good. They poodle in them makes them smart and calmer and the other breed keeps down the annoying poodle side. Call Stonecrest Vet clinic 704-752-9787. They usually have breeder info and well as a book of dogs that need homes.
Hi Brooke,

What is "the annoying poodle side?" We have a standard poodle and he is exceptional. I don't know much about the smaller poodles, but our standard (our second one) is fantastic.

Joette
We will definitely look into the "doodle" possibility. I thought about a standard poodle but they are too big. I just hear such mixed things about hybrids. I don't know how much is true and how much is propaganda.
I am a volunteer for Broken Dobe rescue. I keep fosters at my home. All our adoptees are in homes so their personalities are tested. Our adoption fee is I believe $200 but they are fully vetter. I rescues my 2nd dobie from them. It is a wonderful supportive network and the dobies are great with the kids. Very little shedding. One of the coordinators has a rottie too FYI! also, my 1st dobe is only 45lbs. very petite. They are not meant to be large dogs. New breeders are breeding them big but their origin and purpose was to be a medium size. I have a dobie mix in foster now that is maybe 40 lbs-just had pups 9 weeks ago but should be about 50lbs or so..ever soo sweet!
Email me if you are still looking. I volunteer for Broken Dobe Rescue. I've worked with many breed and would love to help you find a pup. Let me know your status. I have apup that needs out of the pound before he is Put to sleep. I also have 2 fosters coming my way this week. You could try fostering too. Lf7444@yahoo.com

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

Latest Activity

Pat's discussion was featured

VACCINES

Discussion, references, inquiries, etc.
Sep 23, 2010
Estela de Arcos Hunt updated their profile photo
Aug 25, 2010
Anna left a comment for Megan Stuhlman
"Hi Megan, I've dealt with a few different illnesses. Maybe you can call me tomorrow and let me know what's going on. Or maybe send your number. Pat and I are going to a conference but will have some time on the drive there and later in…"
Aug 13, 2010
Megan Stuhlman left a comment for Anna
"Hi Anna, Hope you are doing well, its been a while since I've come to the group MNOs but hope to attend soon and see folks again. This is kind of a random favor/question, but I seem to have a sick chicken and wondered if you had any expertise…"
Aug 13, 2010
Pat posted discussions
Jul 22, 2010
Sara Arey updated their profile photo
Jul 9, 2010
Sara Arey is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jul 9, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Interesting. I do find info about Arnica as a poison ivy relief alternative. I hadn't heard of that. Homeopathic Apis helps for swelling, hives also. Pat"
Jul 3, 2010
Pamela Fuller replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Thanks, lots of great ideas we can try. (I am a new member on the yahoo group as of last week.) We also read some information elsewhere about treating with arnica, do you have any experience with that? DH used arnica pellets on Sunday for muscle…"
Jul 2, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"We had two recent discussions about poison ivy relief on the yahoogroup with many options to consider. Plantain, witch hazel and Epsom salt baths seem to offer significant relief. Are you already a member there?…"
Jul 2, 2010
Benita Gibbs posted a discussion

Drinking Water Usage for Your Family

Can you spare a few moments to take my survey?Please take the survey titled "Drinking Water Usage". Your feedback is important!http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N27LDFDThank you for your time.See More
Jun 28, 2010
Pamela Fuller posted a discussion

Poison Ivy

Does anyone have suggestions for relieving poison ivy itch?  I'm new to holistic treatments, and hubby has a small case of what he thinks is poison ivy or oak on face and hands.
Jun 28, 2010
Cara Yara's 2 blog posts were featured
Jun 25, 2010
Jenn's blog post was featured

SHE'S HERE!!

So Maya Lynn decided to come Saturday afternon.After a long labor, but a REAL quick one push delivery she arrived Saturday September 12, 2009 at 5:09.She's 7lb. 11 oz. and 20 1/2" long.We came home Sunday afternoon and have all been doing really well.I will update with photos when I get time to download them.See More
Jun 25, 2010
allie drayton is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 24, 2010
Pat posted a discussion

Food Poisoning

If you observe some safety rules related to foods, kitchen and kitchen appliances, food poisoning will never occur.Most food poisioning effects on body clears up in a few days on its own as their duration is not for very long period. In the case of continued illnessseek medical advice. Children, elders, pregnant women and the personswho use antacids heavily are at more risk of getting food poisioning.The…See More
Jun 24, 2010
Benita Gibbs is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 23, 2010
Profile IconLindsey Chambliss, Stacy and Gwendolynn St. Pierre joined Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 14, 2010
Pat left a comment for Gwendolynn St. Pierre
"Welcome. Glad you joined us! Pat"
Jun 14, 2010

© 2024   Created by Pat.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service