Exploring Holistic Alternatives

Families practicing: Alternative & Natural Health; Attachment and Mindful Parent

My girls have been looking forward to having a dog for EVER. We've told them once we're in our house in SC, we'll get a dog. I grew up with Rottweilers and loved them, and I am a dog person in general, BUT:

I *cannot* deal with dog HAIR.

So I need to find a local breeder or rescue or something with a non-shedding dog variety. (I know all dogs shed, but some shed minimally. That's what we need.) I know of one doodle breeder near Charlotte, but I think their waiting list is a mile long and they want like $2000 for their pups. I'm looking to spend something more along the lines of $250-500. At the most. My ideal dog would be medium-sized and not yap incessantly.

I hate to be picky and I am aware that a dog from the pound can be great, but the simple fact is, if the dog sheds, it isn't going to make it in our house. I'm not fussy... the exact opposite, actually. I don't want to have to sweep more often than necessary. I'm totally lazy about housework and I'm trying to be smart about what will work for us.

Does anyone have any tips?

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How about a Cavashon? It's a cross between a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a Bichon Frise. Sleeps on our bed and couches, and doesn't leave hair behind!

I just wanted to encourage you on some of the suggestions. We lost our previous dog in Sept of 07 to cancer. I wanted to go dogless for a while but then suddenly last December I was ready. We had always had boxers as a family and i love them but I thought for a while about getting a smaller dog. So I emailed some folks on Petfinder. Then the family said, no, we really want a boxer. Well, I am a bit of a boxer snob and I really don't want a boxer mix. So I started through the process of a boxer rescue agency. However, when I emailed one of my petfinder contacts to tell her we were going a different route, she told me about a boxer that was just posted at the York County Shelter. It was a strange day because we drove east about an hour to give a pet rabbit away (that was not fitting in our family too well), then I loaded all the kids up for the hour and half drive to see the dog. It was instant love. And my husband got a huge (and lovely) surprise that night. We truly lucked out on this. King is a wonderful representative of his breed in all respects and we are planning to celebrate Dec 18 as his "freedom day."

So I second the idea of being patient and searching through some of the rescue groups and networking when you decide what you want. I have to say that I can't stand the thought of just going to a shelter and picking an animal. It would just not work for us. We had to practically wear blinders walking through that day even though we knew we were looking at a certain dog. We would be bound to pick out the most pathetic animal and it may not be a good fit. That shelter, though, was one of the nicest I have ever visited. Very clean, like a vet's office and they gave us food and a toy and several other things.

The picture above is of King and my daughter's Shih Ztu (spelling?). Boxers vary on their shedding. King only had a few periods of shedding last year during the cold. I am thinking about getting him a sweater to cut down on that. But honestly I have had boxers who shed more. Brushing does help. I totally get the concern as housework is not tops on my list either and a big shedder would be difficult.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

Latest Activity

Pat's discussion was featured

VACCINES

Discussion, references, inquiries, etc.
Sep 23, 2010
Estela de Arcos Hunt updated their profile photo
Aug 25, 2010
Anna left a comment for Megan Stuhlman
"Hi Megan, I've dealt with a few different illnesses. Maybe you can call me tomorrow and let me know what's going on. Or maybe send your number. Pat and I are going to a conference but will have some time on the drive there and later in…"
Aug 13, 2010
Megan Stuhlman left a comment for Anna
"Hi Anna, Hope you are doing well, its been a while since I've come to the group MNOs but hope to attend soon and see folks again. This is kind of a random favor/question, but I seem to have a sick chicken and wondered if you had any expertise…"
Aug 13, 2010
Pat posted discussions
Jul 22, 2010
Sara Arey updated their profile photo
Jul 9, 2010
Sara Arey is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jul 9, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Interesting. I do find info about Arnica as a poison ivy relief alternative. I hadn't heard of that. Homeopathic Apis helps for swelling, hives also. Pat"
Jul 3, 2010
Pamela Fuller replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Thanks, lots of great ideas we can try. (I am a new member on the yahoo group as of last week.) We also read some information elsewhere about treating with arnica, do you have any experience with that? DH used arnica pellets on Sunday for muscle…"
Jul 2, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"We had two recent discussions about poison ivy relief on the yahoogroup with many options to consider. Plantain, witch hazel and Epsom salt baths seem to offer significant relief. Are you already a member there?…"
Jul 2, 2010
Benita Gibbs posted a discussion

Drinking Water Usage for Your Family

Can you spare a few moments to take my survey?Please take the survey titled "Drinking Water Usage". Your feedback is important!http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N27LDFDThank you for your time.See More
Jun 28, 2010
Pamela Fuller posted a discussion

Poison Ivy

Does anyone have suggestions for relieving poison ivy itch?  I'm new to holistic treatments, and hubby has a small case of what he thinks is poison ivy or oak on face and hands.
Jun 28, 2010
Cara Yara's 2 blog posts were featured
Jun 25, 2010
Jenn's blog post was featured

SHE'S HERE!!

So Maya Lynn decided to come Saturday afternon.After a long labor, but a REAL quick one push delivery she arrived Saturday September 12, 2009 at 5:09.She's 7lb. 11 oz. and 20 1/2" long.We came home Sunday afternoon and have all been doing really well.I will update with photos when I get time to download them.See More
Jun 25, 2010
allie drayton is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 24, 2010
Pat posted a discussion

Food Poisoning

If you observe some safety rules related to foods, kitchen and kitchen appliances, food poisoning will never occur.Most food poisioning effects on body clears up in a few days on its own as their duration is not for very long period. In the case of continued illnessseek medical advice. Children, elders, pregnant women and the personswho use antacids heavily are at more risk of getting food poisioning.The…See More
Jun 24, 2010
Benita Gibbs is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 23, 2010
Profile IconLindsey Chambliss, Stacy and Gwendolynn St. Pierre joined Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 14, 2010
Pat left a comment for Gwendolynn St. Pierre
"Welcome. Glad you joined us! Pat"
Jun 14, 2010

© 2024   Created by Pat.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service