Exploring Holistic Alternatives

Families practicing: Alternative & Natural Health; Attachment and Mindful Parent

Please post an introduction. It would be very easy to let this be your first post. We have so many wonderful members and it would be great to hear more about each and every one of you. It also helps to establish a community so there is not just a core group of people who post and a lot of people who lurk. It only takes a few minutes.

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi holistic moms and dads,
I'm Sofia,
We moved in Charlotte from Chicago two months ago. We have a 3 y old cute girl.
The truth is I’m a greek, I moved in USA from Greece just four years ago, I apologize for my poor English. We are renting an apartment in South Charlotte area.
As an original mediterranean I used to cook the healthy way and of course I know a lot of things about fresh, locally grown,herbs etc. This was just what I ve learned all these years. I could never understand the American diet and I didn’t want to bring home junk food, especially after I got pregnant.
I do have though serious health issues and very low energy, because of the medication and bad habits in the past. But I’m trying to do my best, healthy diet, alternative heeling etc. to help myself and raise a healthy strong child. I ‘m happy to have this local group and I’m sure I have a lot to learn. My husband travels so I don’t know if I can make it to the meetings. But I hope I will find a way to make it there, cause I really really want to meet all of you.
And please forgive me if I don’t post often, cause it takes me long to express myself in English.
Welcome!

Hope to meet you at one of the outings. I'm sure we can learn a lot from your diet.

Are there areas you are wanting more information?

Pat
It is so nice to meet you. I hope to get to meet you in real life.
thanks for the warm welcome messago. I 'm having a hard time now fighting my candida, so not enough time for other interests... Unfortunately I had to learn about holistic the hard way, after I got sick... Better late than never.
Hope to meet all of you soon.
sofia
There are some informed mamas on Mothering.com about candida. Here are a few threads for more info about holistic alternatives related to leaky guts, candida, healing the gut, adrenal fatigue, etc.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=434071

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=921487&hi...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=952566&hi...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=685848&hi...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=941070&hi...

Probiotics are my current obsession. I'm crazy about kefir. Let me know if you need more info.

Glad you are here. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Pat
Woo-hoo! We have 100 members now.

Love to "meet" more of you with an intro!

My husband and I have been happily married for 25 years. He is more conservative and conventional. I'm more liberal and alternative. :-) We married as young adults and have traveled all over the world. We enjoy scuba diving, skiing, and hiking. And I love gardening, philosophy, and alternative parenting and holistic health. We have one young son, he has always unschooled. He is seven. We live in Weddington.

I learned of alternative birthing with the Bradley birthing classes and planned a homebirth with a lay midwife. Our son was born naturally, at the hospital after 43 hours of labor. To my chagrin, I believe the labor was so long, because I had parallel care with a CNM, and we were under the threat of ultrasounds and induction the weekend before he was born. We arbitrarily "induced" birth naturally (read *early*), with all the "natural induction" options (an oxymoron), to avoid the medical route. He just wasn't ready to be born, for days...

Ultimately, with maternal exhaustion and an "absent" heartbeat, we transported to the hospital. Ds was born four hours later, heartbeat always audible. Now, I believe he was just positioned such that we couldn't hear the heartbeat and IF I had trusted birthing, he'd have been born at home. Unfortunately, the NICU pediatrician believed that a 40-week gestation baby "looked post-date" and with a bit of meconium, convinced us to "give some antibiotics to be on the safe side, until the blood cultures come back" (two days later). We did antibiotics at birth for multiple doses and he ended up with a leaky gut, food intolerances to e.v.e.r..y.t.h.i.n.g., and exhausting sleep patterns and "colic".

Along the way, I'd researched vaccines and we declined those "until age 2, when the immune system is more developed". At that point, what is the point? LOL So, he is unvaccinated, uncircumcised (not sure he'd like this discussed!). And we extended breastfed until age 2, exclusively until about 15 months, due to the food intolerances. Fortunately, we found Naomi Zeskind and classical homeopathy and pretty much ds can eat anything now, after doing huge elimination diets and Feingold, etc.

We did the whole co-sleeping, slinging, cloth diapering, child led toileting, etc. We live consensually as a family and ds's autonomy is a priority.

Finally, at age 7! I'm learning about the messed up gut, secondary to antibiotics at birth, and am working to recolonize our guts with whole food probiotics. For a couple of years, we've been enjoying raw Guernsey cow's milk from SC. And enjoy making raw milk kefir for all of us. And am soaking whole grains for batters and baking for the nutritional benefits (and ease).

We embrace our body as healthy and strong, and treat issues with herbal and homeopathic alternatives. Oh, and I was a critical care nurse for 17 years. LOL

That is our holistic journey. And I am learning all the time! I'm so delighted to have met so many informed and confident women to learn from and with! Glad you all are here. I'm looking forward to meeting more of you, and hope you'll post an Intro about yourself, your family, your journey and your passions.

Pat
I'm Karen and I am a homeschooling mother of 4 - ages 20, 18, 12 and 7. We moved to Indian Trail going on 4 years ago. We had moved quite a bit but it looks like we are here until our children are through school. We love it.

My holistic interests include breastfeeding, organic foods, natural health, exercise and homeopathy. My current challenge is to rebuild my metabolism after two years on an SSRI. Naomi Zeskind (thank you Pat) has been instrumental in this transition. I am a JuicePlus distributor who is not active but my family still incorporates this into our diet. I have dabbled in many holistic areas; however, the homeschooling consumes most of my focus for now. I am always delighted to talk to folks who are thinking about it. I make a good sounding board because I truly believe in each family making the best choice for them no matter what that turns out to be.
Wow! We just topped 200 members! Hope you all can join us for some of the events. Invite your friends to join us here. Share this link or use the "Invite" menu tab at the top of the forum. http://xploringholisticalternatives.ning.com/

We have MNO, potlucks, park days, holistic gatherings, luncheons, and other outings planned.

If you are in an outlying area, you are not alone! Consider posting an event, park gathering or MNO near you. There ARE other moms nearby!!

Post an intro so we can get to know you. It is exciting to have so many folks interested in holistic living. There are discussion forums for many holistic topics. Or start a discussion about what interests you.

Where do you live? How many children do you have? What do you LOVE? What are you passionate about?

We live in south Charlotte, Weddington. Our son is seven, we homeschool. I LOVE being home with ds. I'm passionate about holistic health and organic gardening.

Hope to meet you soon.

Pat Robinson

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

Latest Activity

Pat's discussion was featured

VACCINES

Discussion, references, inquiries, etc.
Sep 23, 2010
Estela de Arcos Hunt updated their profile photo
Aug 25, 2010
Anna left a comment for Megan Stuhlman
"Hi Megan, I've dealt with a few different illnesses. Maybe you can call me tomorrow and let me know what's going on. Or maybe send your number. Pat and I are going to a conference but will have some time on the drive there and later in…"
Aug 13, 2010
Megan Stuhlman left a comment for Anna
"Hi Anna, Hope you are doing well, its been a while since I've come to the group MNOs but hope to attend soon and see folks again. This is kind of a random favor/question, but I seem to have a sick chicken and wondered if you had any expertise…"
Aug 13, 2010
Pat posted discussions
Jul 22, 2010
Sara Arey updated their profile photo
Jul 9, 2010
Sara Arey is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jul 9, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Interesting. I do find info about Arnica as a poison ivy relief alternative. I hadn't heard of that. Homeopathic Apis helps for swelling, hives also. Pat"
Jul 3, 2010
Pamela Fuller replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Thanks, lots of great ideas we can try. (I am a new member on the yahoo group as of last week.) We also read some information elsewhere about treating with arnica, do you have any experience with that? DH used arnica pellets on Sunday for muscle…"
Jul 2, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"We had two recent discussions about poison ivy relief on the yahoogroup with many options to consider. Plantain, witch hazel and Epsom salt baths seem to offer significant relief. Are you already a member there?…"
Jul 2, 2010
Benita Gibbs posted a discussion

Drinking Water Usage for Your Family

Can you spare a few moments to take my survey?Please take the survey titled "Drinking Water Usage". Your feedback is important!http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N27LDFDThank you for your time.See More
Jun 28, 2010
Pamela Fuller posted a discussion

Poison Ivy

Does anyone have suggestions for relieving poison ivy itch?  I'm new to holistic treatments, and hubby has a small case of what he thinks is poison ivy or oak on face and hands.
Jun 28, 2010
Cara Yara's 2 blog posts were featured
Jun 25, 2010
Jenn's blog post was featured

SHE'S HERE!!

So Maya Lynn decided to come Saturday afternon.After a long labor, but a REAL quick one push delivery she arrived Saturday September 12, 2009 at 5:09.She's 7lb. 11 oz. and 20 1/2" long.We came home Sunday afternoon and have all been doing really well.I will update with photos when I get time to download them.See More
Jun 25, 2010
allie drayton is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 24, 2010
Pat posted a discussion

Food Poisoning

If you observe some safety rules related to foods, kitchen and kitchen appliances, food poisoning will never occur.Most food poisioning effects on body clears up in a few days on its own as their duration is not for very long period. In the case of continued illnessseek medical advice. Children, elders, pregnant women and the personswho use antacids heavily are at more risk of getting food poisioning.The…See More
Jun 24, 2010
Benita Gibbs is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 23, 2010
Profile IconLindsey Chambliss, Stacy and Gwendolynn St. Pierre joined Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 14, 2010
Pat left a comment for Gwendolynn St. Pierre
"Welcome. Glad you joined us! Pat"
Jun 14, 2010

© 2024   Created by Pat.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service