Exploring Holistic Alternatives

Families practicing: Alternative & Natural Health; Attachment and Mindful Parent

Just looking to chat with others who homeschool. My daughter is still quite young - we do preschool/K at home. Our learning is thru play of course, but I am reading up on montessori teachings.

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Joette!
Yes, there are others on my site from SC. The site is very much like this one and in addition to the community networking- I have area resource information and many of the area groups including some in SC. I plan to add the SC homeschool laws and links just like I have the NC info.
I would love others feedback on how I can improve the site as well as input on discussion. there are many forums started and several groups already- with room for much more!

Come check out the site:
charlottehomeschooling.com
And tell everyone you know!

Joy
Gina
Thanks Gina!
Joette
We're Waldorf-inspired learners, with a bit of unschooling thrown in for good measure! (Waldorf and Montessori share some similarities, then again, there are some differences. ) My girls are also young (3 3/4, 22 months and 22 months) but they are really just actively involved in the business of living. For them, watering the flowers, making bread and sorting clothes IS play and it can be very joyful at times.

It is a fun journey, because I'm rediscovering the joy of learning and living myself. We do lots of gardening, baking, watercolor painting, blocks, dolls. I'm also looking to start some weaving with my older daughter. I've taken up knitting too.
Carrie, have you joined the "Explore and Discover" or "Lake Norman Secular" homeschool groups? They both have a lot of activities. Also, we have a new "Unschooling In The Carolinas" ning for connecting folks who are unschooling or relaxed homeschoolers. We have monthly outings planned for 2009. Many folks have younger children and all ages are welcome at outings. All of those support resources are free, open and inclusive.

Here are the links.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ExploreAndDiscover/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LKNsec/
http://unschoolinginthecarolinas.ning.com/

There are a couple of Waldorf and Montessori mamas here also. Also, there is a north Charlotte group. Check the menu tab "Groups" at the top of the page. They are planning MNO, playdates, and holistic presentations for up that way.

Glad you joined us!

Pat
Hi
We're waldorf-inspired homeschoolers. My boys are 6 and 3.
Hello! I just joined. My children are ages 20, 18, 12 and 7 and we have always homeschooled. We started off very "school at home" and while we still use a lot of traditional materials, we have relaxed a lot over the years. It has turned out to be the best choice for our family especially when we started doing a lot of moving around.

We have lived here going on 4 years. Charlotte is a FABulous place to homeschool. So much here! The only downside is that it can take some digging to find everything. Pat's Explore and Discover is a great group and very easy to plug into. I love Gina's new site, CharlotteHomeschooling.com, as well. I have a large Christian based information list called CCHNet - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CCHNet/

I also maintain a list of all the groups and lists that i know of in the area (Pat and Gina also have this) and I can email this to anyone who wants it. juicepluslady@carolina.rr.com

I believe that all involved parents homeschool until their child starts school and then they shoulder much of the responsibility still. Formal homeschooling is simply an extension of what we are already doing.
Thanks for those links! :)
I just wanted to update all of you on our homeschool dilema-

The immediate future has not been decided yet, but, I want to homeschool over the summer and if Annika does not get chosen for the magnet or charters we are interested in then I will most likely homeschool/unschool for 1st grade. Do most homeschoolers continue through the summer?
You may want to check out
http://carolinahomeschooler.com/
They have a good forum and they also plan neat trips. My dh and older son went with this SC group down to Charleston to tour the USS Yorktown.
Many homeschoolers do continue year round. Of course there is not really a distinction for unschoolers. Our family has often been caught homeschooling at odd times due to moves and other life circumstances. The only real difference is that there are less regular homeschool activities in the summer so if you are looking to get together with other homeschoolers, you may need to help plan some things. And if you live in a neighborhood where other kids expect to play with your kids, you may need ot set some ground rules (like not coming to the door before a certain time) or they will drive you nuts.

You know in the fall when mom are saying "I'm SO glad my kids are back in school!"? Well, I am usually agreeing with them cause I am so glad that their kids are back in school, too!! LOL

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

Latest Activity

Pat's discussion was featured

VACCINES

Discussion, references, inquiries, etc.
Sep 23, 2010
Estela de Arcos Hunt updated their profile photo
Aug 25, 2010
Anna left a comment for Megan Stuhlman
"Hi Megan, I've dealt with a few different illnesses. Maybe you can call me tomorrow and let me know what's going on. Or maybe send your number. Pat and I are going to a conference but will have some time on the drive there and later in…"
Aug 13, 2010
Megan Stuhlman left a comment for Anna
"Hi Anna, Hope you are doing well, its been a while since I've come to the group MNOs but hope to attend soon and see folks again. This is kind of a random favor/question, but I seem to have a sick chicken and wondered if you had any expertise…"
Aug 13, 2010
Pat posted discussions
Jul 22, 2010
Sara Arey updated their profile photo
Jul 9, 2010
Sara Arey is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jul 9, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Interesting. I do find info about Arnica as a poison ivy relief alternative. I hadn't heard of that. Homeopathic Apis helps for swelling, hives also. Pat"
Jul 3, 2010
Pamela Fuller replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Thanks, lots of great ideas we can try. (I am a new member on the yahoo group as of last week.) We also read some information elsewhere about treating with arnica, do you have any experience with that? DH used arnica pellets on Sunday for muscle…"
Jul 2, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"We had two recent discussions about poison ivy relief on the yahoogroup with many options to consider. Plantain, witch hazel and Epsom salt baths seem to offer significant relief. Are you already a member there?…"
Jul 2, 2010
Benita Gibbs posted a discussion

Drinking Water Usage for Your Family

Can you spare a few moments to take my survey?Please take the survey titled "Drinking Water Usage". Your feedback is important!http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N27LDFDThank you for your time.See More
Jun 28, 2010
Pamela Fuller posted a discussion

Poison Ivy

Does anyone have suggestions for relieving poison ivy itch?  I'm new to holistic treatments, and hubby has a small case of what he thinks is poison ivy or oak on face and hands.
Jun 28, 2010
Cara Yara's 2 blog posts were featured
Jun 25, 2010
Jenn's blog post was featured

SHE'S HERE!!

So Maya Lynn decided to come Saturday afternon.After a long labor, but a REAL quick one push delivery she arrived Saturday September 12, 2009 at 5:09.She's 7lb. 11 oz. and 20 1/2" long.We came home Sunday afternoon and have all been doing really well.I will update with photos when I get time to download them.See More
Jun 25, 2010
allie drayton is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 24, 2010
Pat posted a discussion

Food Poisoning

If you observe some safety rules related to foods, kitchen and kitchen appliances, food poisoning will never occur.Most food poisioning effects on body clears up in a few days on its own as their duration is not for very long period. In the case of continued illnessseek medical advice. Children, elders, pregnant women and the personswho use antacids heavily are at more risk of getting food poisioning.The…See More
Jun 24, 2010
Benita Gibbs is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 23, 2010
Profile IconLindsey Chambliss, Stacy and Gwendolynn St. Pierre joined Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 14, 2010
Pat left a comment for Gwendolynn St. Pierre
"Welcome. Glad you joined us! Pat"
Jun 14, 2010

© 2024   Created by Pat.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service