Exploring Holistic Alternatives

Families practicing: Alternative & Natural Health; Attachment and Mindful Parent

Hi everyone! I'm wondering how many of you feel like your attachment parenting style has changed as your children have grown. I've noticed lately that I feel a little more frustrated and less patient with my son then I did when he was younger. Almost like my expectations for him have ramped up and I think he should be more "independent" and more willing to hear me out. There is still a ton of communication between us all and everyone is encouraged to voice concerns and feelings freely, but sometimes I fall into the "but I'm the mother" mentality.

Any of you dealing with this?

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that "attachment parenting" as a concept kind of plays out when kids start leaving babyhood and toddlerhood. I think, while it's wonderful that it focuses on listening to the child, that it's still a 'parent in control' paradigm and that's really because you're dealing with an infant, who is carried around and quite dependent. The "game" changes a bit as the child becomes more independent and those roles really shift.

That whole process is what led me to CL (Consensual Living). I just couldn't find a framework out there for relating to older children and adults in a way that was mutually respectful. So we started the CL website and yahoo group. I know you already know all this Missy :) but I thought I'd share just in case anyone else was interested. The website is www.consensual-living.com . There is a yahoo group also. We talk about ways to reframe and to use communication tools to make sure everyone is getting their needs met.

I think "independence" is really different from child to child. I have one who was independent very early on and one who still isn't. I just focus on gratitude for our connection and trust that the time will come when she is more independent. She really has grown and changed so much over the past few years. I think part of it is the "highly sensitive" piece and I know your son shares that. They take in so much and things get overwhelming quickly that they need that home base of mom to help navigate that. In my daughter, that need to protect herself is so strong that she has a hard time seeing my needs too when she is feeling overwhelmed. When I remember that, it helps me to be calm and help her center and then we are able to move on to finding a mutually agreeable solution.

I'll stop rambling now :) Just wanted to reach out.

~Anna
Great thoughts Anna, as always! Daniel is so sensitive and aware of things, that it can get draining sometimes. Just today I even had a sort of panic about it b/c hearing his thoughts and listening to the intensity of them start to worry me! But you are right, I know he'll "get there" just on his own terms.

We went to the SOKHOP conventional downtown this morning and one of the vendors had "calming" pills/vitamins for kids and I grabbed a sample!! LOL
Yes, I feel like this all the time. I find myself singing more to myself (one of my coping methods) than I ever have. Anna gave some great advice that I need to look in to.
I have been dealing with this as well with my 4 year old son. I think it comes down to my patience level and my need to take the time that it takes to follow through. I try my best to meet his communication needs without bailing out because it is a timely task. In the long run, I know it will really pay off for us.
I am finding that my style for when my son was little is not working well for us now too.
I fell into AP. I went with doing what works. I had no idea it was a style LOL.
I may not have followed the style as traditionally as others.

But now sometimes I am just at a loss with his desire to disagree with everything I say and ask at 8 years old. Like I created a monster LOL. I think I may give him a bach remedy.
We love bach flower remedies :) I find if we are struggling that we just need to find ways to reconnect. I try not to look at things as us/them, disagreeing etc. It's just a process of identifying needs and finding solutions that work for everyone. When we all trust that our needs will be met there is nothing to defy or defend. We can work together to make sure we are all getting what we need.

~Anna

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

Latest Activity

Pat's discussion was featured

VACCINES

Discussion, references, inquiries, etc.
Sep 23, 2010
Estela de Arcos Hunt updated their profile photo
Aug 25, 2010
Anna left a comment for Megan Stuhlman
"Hi Megan, I've dealt with a few different illnesses. Maybe you can call me tomorrow and let me know what's going on. Or maybe send your number. Pat and I are going to a conference but will have some time on the drive there and later in…"
Aug 13, 2010
Megan Stuhlman left a comment for Anna
"Hi Anna, Hope you are doing well, its been a while since I've come to the group MNOs but hope to attend soon and see folks again. This is kind of a random favor/question, but I seem to have a sick chicken and wondered if you had any expertise…"
Aug 13, 2010
Pat posted discussions
Jul 22, 2010
Sara Arey updated their profile photo
Jul 9, 2010
Sara Arey is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jul 9, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Interesting. I do find info about Arnica as a poison ivy relief alternative. I hadn't heard of that. Homeopathic Apis helps for swelling, hives also. Pat"
Jul 3, 2010
Pamela Fuller replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"Thanks, lots of great ideas we can try. (I am a new member on the yahoo group as of last week.) We also read some information elsewhere about treating with arnica, do you have any experience with that? DH used arnica pellets on Sunday for muscle…"
Jul 2, 2010
Pat replied to Pamela Fuller's discussion Poison Ivy
"We had two recent discussions about poison ivy relief on the yahoogroup with many options to consider. Plantain, witch hazel and Epsom salt baths seem to offer significant relief. Are you already a member there?…"
Jul 2, 2010
Benita Gibbs posted a discussion

Drinking Water Usage for Your Family

Can you spare a few moments to take my survey?Please take the survey titled "Drinking Water Usage". Your feedback is important!http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N27LDFDThank you for your time.See More
Jun 28, 2010
Pamela Fuller posted a discussion

Poison Ivy

Does anyone have suggestions for relieving poison ivy itch?  I'm new to holistic treatments, and hubby has a small case of what he thinks is poison ivy or oak on face and hands.
Jun 28, 2010
Cara Yara's 2 blog posts were featured
Jun 25, 2010
Jenn's blog post was featured

SHE'S HERE!!

So Maya Lynn decided to come Saturday afternon.After a long labor, but a REAL quick one push delivery she arrived Saturday September 12, 2009 at 5:09.She's 7lb. 11 oz. and 20 1/2" long.We came home Sunday afternoon and have all been doing really well.I will update with photos when I get time to download them.See More
Jun 25, 2010
allie drayton is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 24, 2010
Pat posted a discussion

Food Poisoning

If you observe some safety rules related to foods, kitchen and kitchen appliances, food poisoning will never occur.Most food poisioning effects on body clears up in a few days on its own as their duration is not for very long period. In the case of continued illnessseek medical advice. Children, elders, pregnant women and the personswho use antacids heavily are at more risk of getting food poisioning.The…See More
Jun 24, 2010
Benita Gibbs is now a member of Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 23, 2010
Profile IconLindsey Chambliss, Stacy and Gwendolynn St. Pierre joined Exploring Holistic Alternatives
Jun 14, 2010
Pat left a comment for Gwendolynn St. Pierre
"Welcome. Glad you joined us! Pat"
Jun 14, 2010

© 2024   Created by Pat.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service